“Turns My Whole World Misty Blue” … Using Blue at Home
When KitchenAid released its iconic mixer in their new “Misty Blue” color in September, the design world took note. While some color trends in home design come and go, others will prove to have enough staying power that they evolve into classics. Such is the case with this soft, seaside shade of blue. If KitchenAid offers a color, it’s a bona fide classic.
Clients who work with Roomscapes have been requesting blues – everything from barely there to saturated shades of periwinkle – for some time.
- For this coffee bar, part of an expansive kitchen in a waterfront home, our designer went with Wood-Mode’s Dover Cliff, a whisper-light shade of blue, on the cabinetry. With the cabinets in the main portion of the kitchen painted white, the blue shade used here works to delineate the space and play off the view of the water just outside the windows.
- In this white-on-white bathroom, one of our projects in collaboration with Cortizo Interiors, the blue vanity adds an unexpected pop of contrast and lends a beachy feel to the space. The navy blue accent tile in the shower pulls the look together.
- Our designer repurposed an odd little nook between two closets by adding custom-built cabinetry for storing linen. The color on the new cabinetry, finished in a pale blue with gray undertones, has just enough contrast to let it stand out against the walls and white trim work.
- A cheery periwinkle color, custom blended to match Benjamin Moore’s Steel Blue and finished with Wood-Mode’s Vintage Glaze, lets the island take center stage in the kitchen we designed at a home in the Pinehills. Twin chandeliers with a vintage vibe cast a warm glow over the island and give the white cabinetry around the perimeter of the room a subtle pink tint.
Retailers have latched onto blue as a mainstay in their product lines as well.
1. Le Creuset dishware from William Sonoma, in Mineral Blue, is a perfect mid-tone take on the color. 2. A cashmere throw, also from William Sonoma, is must for chilly fall evenings. 3. The Misty Blue mixer from KitchenAid. 4. Wood-Mode’s new Agate Blue, a pale blue-gray hue, adds a layered look against the stained perimeter cabinets. 5. Schumacher’s Agra Sisal wallpaper in Sky is awash in a soft, seaside blue. 6. Wayfair’s Milland Mid-Century sofa in Light Blue has a hint of Mad Men mod style. 7. Le Creuset’s iconic French oven, available on Amazon, gets an updated look in hombre-effect Coastal Blue. 8. Not too blue, not too gray, the Scroll Tile rug in Porcelain Blue, from Pottery Barn, is just right. 9. La Cornue offers its ranges in a host of blue shades including this Provence Blue; the full line of La Cornue ranges can purchased through Roomscapes.
Blue continues to have its moment in all things home design. Move over, black and white. There’s a new hue in town, and it is very much a classic.